PTO Meeting Minutes

NORTH FT. MYERS ACADEMY FOR THE ARTS

PTO Meeting Minutes

 

January 10, 2017

 

? Meeting called to order at 6:00pm.

o (Secretary not present at beginning of meeting.)

Previous Meeting Minutes Review by Kieran MacCarthy (Secretary)

 

  • Copies to be posted on NFMAA website in Parent/PTO portal.
  • Minutes approval requested by Heidi Bungard; seconded by Daniel Ortega.

Treasurer’s Report presented by Laurie Babcock (Treasurer)

 

o Current balances (as of 1/9/2017):  $13,995.01

-                      General account: $11,568.78

-                      Box Tops: $2,127.03

-                      Candy Grams: $299.20 o Book fair down about $200 from last year; still quite successful. o Motion to approve Treasurer Report requested by Larry Ruble; seconded by Heidi Bungard.

 

Mini-Grant Discussion  

 

  • Laurie Babcock reviewed Mini Grant process wording proposed wording changes approval motioned by Laurie Babcock; seconded by Larry Ruble.
  • Laurie Babcock reviewed entire Mini-Grant request process (see addendum).
  • Laurie Babcock to send copies of Mini-Grant request form document to Ms. Gunns to put on public school server.   o Kieran MacCarthy expressed desire to continue further efforts to streamline the process, specifically if additional information or discussion is involved. o Possibly utilize Survey Monkey for voting process?  

 

Additional Fundraising 

 

  • Book Fair already discussed; second book fair primarily for library, not funds.  
  • Without Spring Fling, sales potentials probably not as great.

Page Two

 

Spring Fling Discussion

 

  • Dr. Millins discussed the decision to not have a “Spring Fling” celebration this year. o Spring Fling previously a reward used for our “A” rating. o School has dropped down grade levels for two years, and yet we still had it. o Leadership Team & Millins discussed, and an anonymous vote was held; 16-2 for no Spring Fling event this year.
  • We need a replacement to show the school still appreciates the current efforts; working on a “Field Day” type of event instead.
  • This decision will be irrevocable, at least as pertains to any Inflatables; they need to be ordered quite far in advance, so they will be unavailable to us this year unless arranged for now.
  • Ideas needed for fun day for kids; just not a big carnival event (see addendum); google other schools for additional ideas.
  • Concerns about kids extended time outside, as well as the size of groups involved.   o Probably break up into grade groups (K-2, 3-5, MS?). o Date and further discussion to be added to agenda for February PTO Meeting. o Laurie Babcock requested that we do not offer cotton candy at 9am.
  • Teachers request that Middle School have their event at end of the day.

 

Meeting/Information Survey

o Heidi Bungard distributed a brief survey.

Laurie Babcock moved to adjourn; Daniel Ortega seconded. Meeting ended at 6:55pm.

 

North Ft. Myers Academy for the Arts Kindergarten through 8th Grade

A Title 1 School

Page Three

PTO Mini Grant or Supplies Reimbursement Procedure

  1. Initial request comes in by email: A teacher submits a mini grant form to the PTO gmail account as either an electronic copy or a scanned copy in .pdf form. As keeper of the gmail account, the Secretary forwards the request to e-addresses of Executive Board with a deadline of 48 business hours to yea/nay the request or to ask for more information from the requestor. Any individual Exec Board member who neither yeas or nays or requests further information within the 48 hours forfeits their vote and does not count towards quorum. 2/3rds is needed for a request to be approved.

a.       Quorum: If there are 3 officers, 2 school officials, and 6 Standing Committee Chairs, that’s 11 people so 8 would be needed for approval if all voted.

  1. PTO responds to request: The Secretary communicates to the requestor that the request was approved or denied with a brief explanation if needed. The Secretary CC’s the Treasurer and the NFMAA Bookkeeper. Individual votes should not be shared with the requestor unless the requestor asks for that information. Individual votes must be documented by the Secretary in case a question is later raised. The Secretary should maintain records of all individual votes for at least one school year and pass this information to the next Secretary.
  2. Financial reporting of a mini grant request: The Treasurer reports at the next regular meeting of the PTO the number of mini grants requested, number approved, and total dollar amount of each, plus how that affects the total amount available in the budget. The Treasurer also tracks and reports when monies were paid out for mini grant requests. The Treasurer should maintain records of all mini grant pay-outs for at least one school year and pass this information to the next Treasurer.

 

Page Four

FIELD DAY IDEAS

 

  • Quick Baseball (see Cal Ripken Foundation)
  • Color Run o Water balloon toss
  • Fill buckets with water using small containers
  • Water day o Relay Games o Dance Party o Egg Race o Three Legged Race o Corn Hole Tournament o Mad Scientist Experiments o Touch a Truck Event o Red Light/Green Light o Balls o Mother May I o Bean Bag Toss o Extra Large Chess/Checkers
  • Life Size Clue o An obstacle course 
  • A combination relay - where kids run a race but it has things to do along the way such as getting a ball in a basket before moving on, stopping to blow bubbles at a station along the way

 

PTO Minutes for November 2016

NORTH FT. MYERS ACADEMY FOR THE ARTS
PTO Meeting Minutes

November 1, 2016

 

  • Ashley Pantelis (President) opened meeting at 6:00pm.
    • Welcomed all; introduced review of October 4 meeting minutes.

 

  • Previous Meeting Minutes Review by Kieran MacCarthy (Secretary).
    • Copies available at meeting; also to be posted on NFMAA website in parent/PTO portal.
    • Minutes approval requested by Kieran MacCarthy, agreed and seconded by Laurie Ralston.

 

  • Treasurer Report with Revisions by Laurie Babcock (Treasurer).
    • Fall Fundraiser:
      • Received invoice from Great American for $12,000.
      • Total Fall Fundraiser sales of $25,045.33; total profit to NFMAA of @$9,000 (before any additional magazine sales).
      • Laurie B. to check online sales every month.

 

  • Additional Budget Requests:
    • Donuts for Dads – Kieran mentioned overwhelming turnout last year; proposed rsvp sheet this year to go out next week, with actual event November 18.
      • $500 to be budgeted for donut proposal.
      • Motion to approve from Bernice Ortega; Larry Ruble seconded.
      • Unanimous approval.
      • Veterans Breakfast – PTO donation for this?
        • Kieran mentioned this event is happening next Wednesday; wondered if PTO could add a donation to the Veterans support organization that the school is planning on giving.
          • 60 or 70 people signed up so far (relatives of students).
          • NJHS making coasters for each attendee with their service branch insignia.
          • Plan is to charge $1 for a wristband; students receive a dress down day.
          • Question if this is even possible for the school to do?
          • Laurie B. mentioned that PTO funds are (per bylaws), specifically for teachers and kids.  So basically, we just couldn’t do it; even though everyone appreciated and agreed with the sentiment.

 

  • Finalized revised budget can be found at end of minutes.

 

 

 

PTO Meeting Minutes
November 1, 2016
Page Two

 

  • Committee Reports:
    • Fall Fundraiser
      • Ashley reported that all Items have been delivered and distributed; everyone seems to be happy so far. 
      • A couple of refunds needed; then we should have a final number for budget.
      • Dr. Millins gave a special thanks to Daniel, Chrissy, and Kieran for money counting and fundraiser organizing.

 

  • Book Fair:
    • Sad that spy pens didn’t show up after two separate attempts at ordering.
    • Daniel spent $3.18 total of his $300 allocated Angel Fund.
    • On track to make approximately the same as last year.
    • Dates were changed to include Student Led Conferences & Talent Show.
    • Question was asked about having second book fair in April; last time we did it was when Daniel held one during Spring Fling.  Second one from Scholastic was mentioned as a BOGO?
    • Daniel working on logistics and answering questions on second sale with Scholastic.

 

  • Dr. Millins discussed coordination with other school events; working on getting more inclusive and communicative on scheduling to benefit all.
    • Going thru dates in May w/PTO and other organizations when scheduling next year.

 

  • Holiday House:
    • Ashley discussed dates for April, who is out of town.
    • November 17 – Set Up in Dragon Cafe
    • November 18 – Teacher Sign up for Walk-thru
    • November 28 through December 2 – Holiday House Open
    • Volunteer help always needed most in mornings.

 

  • Volunteers:
    • Discussion of Signup.com – can we continue to use?
    • This is an online volunteer organization platform that was utilized for Book Fair. 
    • Everyone can see calendar; sign up for a date.
    • Ms. Hercek mentioned that as a teacher it’s a little sketchy; not a public forum.
    • Daniel mentioned the Book Fair did get a few volunteers from this; however, third party involvement a little annoying because we are not in control of it.
    • Kieran mentioned that while two of the Book Fair volunteers used it and liked it, the volunteer coverage was nowhere near complete throughout the entire two weeks; approximately 6 people total.
    • Ashley mentioned that there is a paid segment of Signup.com where they will find volunteers for you?

PTO Meeting Minutes
November 1, 2016
Page Three

  • Volunteers (continued…):
    • Dr. Millins felt it was a basically good idea, but for parents who sign up to help PTO, they did not give permission for information to be given to a third party.
    • Heidi trying to work together to get volunteers for classrooms; not sure if this will work for this.
    • Dr. Millins felt the need to research further, especially finding out legal ramifications and notification parameters.  If we get clearance; PTO can do a presentation on what is proposed.
    • Stephanie Evans mentioned that other websites have been doing this for years; need to do some further research on what is available out there.
    • Tabled pending further research and further discussion.
    • Dr. Millins also proposed thinking outside the box to encourage participation; like utilizing parent pick up for volunteers.

 

  • Spring Fling Committee:
    • Spring Fling in desperate need of a Chairperson!
    • Date TBD, but we definitely need a date soon– so that we can start planning asap.
    • Bernice Ortega will Chair as long as she gets adequate help and support; Jennifer Holler will Co-Chair (way to step up, ladies!).
    • Check with Jill Moreland – she will help with all info from last year.
    • Just need to set the date asap; the sooner we can move on vendors, etc., the better.

 

  • Additional Discussion:
    • Stephanie Evans asked if can we think about fixing track or playground?
    • Laurie B. said it’s an awesome question; we funded the color-coded playground equipment last year, so there is precedent.
    • Possible shade covers?  Could definitely use a shaded area to replace the tree that fell down.
    • More research on how to do this and when; think about things the school needs. 
    • We have a gym, not a pavilion.  Not many elementary schools have that.
    • Larry Ruble mentioned that the District researched shade covers for another school; with prices, hurricane regulations, etc., it ultimately proved to be cost prohibitive. 
    • For any large-scale school improvements, would we need/be able to hold an additional fund raiser?
    • Daniel mentioned that Parks and Rec is doing a soccer field by us; we will have access to that when finished.

 

Jennifer Holler motioned for adjournment; Laurie Babcock seconded.
Ashley Pantelis adjourned meeting at 7:01pm.

 

PTO Meeting Minutes
November 1, 2016
Page Four

REVISED & APPROVED PTO BUDGET

A/O November 1, 2016

 

  

 

 

 

North Ft. Myers Academy for the Arts
Kindergarten through 8th Grade
A Title 1 School

North Ft. Myers Academy for the Arts
PTO Meeting Minutes
September 6, 2016

  • Ashley Pantelis (President) opened meeting at 6:00pm:
    • Appreciates past and continued support from people involved in the organization.
    • Introduced other PTO Board Members:  Laurie Ralston (VP), Laurie Babcock (Treasurer), Kieran MacCarthy (Secretary)

 

  • Brief Welcome from Dr. Thomas Millins (Principal):
    • Hoping to engage parents in their children’s educations.
    • Plans to encourage attendance at monthly meetings.
    • Plans to discuss Title 1 designation and vision for NFMAA in more detail in SAC meeting.

 

  • Mission statement and her vision of this year’s PTO (Ashley Pantelis):
    • Wants to grow and further enhance PTO’s ability to support teachers and students.
    • Discussed need for parent volunteers to succeed in these efforts.

 

  • Budget recap (Laurie Babcock):
    • Budget period from July 1, 2016 through June 1, 2017.
    • $6705.47 at beginning of year; still paying some of last year’s approved expenses.
    • $5310.67 current working budget figure.
    • Came in under budgeted estimates for Open House and 6th Grade Orientation.
    • Probably will open Mini-Grant Program starting in October, after Fall Fundraiser closes out; will let teachers know exact date by next meeting.
    • Mini-Grants utilized approximately $3500 last year, which had been budgeted.
    • Last year’s Fall Fundraiser raised about $9000; no idea what to expect this year.
    • Last year’s other main PTO revenue generating events:
      • Holiday House: approx. $1500
      • Box Tops:  approx. $1500
      • Book Fair:  approx. $1500
  • Spring Fling is a free event for all students.

 

  • Additional revenue generating events (Laurie Ralston):
    • Possible Date Night for parents?
      • Cheri on board for providing paid dinner for parents.
      • Kids supervised in gym; provide pizza.
      • Could even be monthly or bi-monthly event.
      • Need Administration approval/guidance on additional fundraisers.

 

  • Additional communications/promotions efforts (Kieran MacCarthy):
    • Monthly newsletter      
    • Facebook integration
      • Dan Jeske to work with Daniel Ortega on tech opportunities.
  • Further cooperative efforts with other NFMAA organizations:
    • Builders Club
    • NJHS
    • PBS

PTO Meeting Minutes
September 6, 2016
Page Two

 

  • Additional communications/promotions efforts (Kieran MacCarthy) continued:
    • Arts Foundation –
      • Shout out to Arts Foundation President Heidi Bungard and VP Dan Jeske for attending and participating in the meeting. 
  • Volunteer Coordinator would be awesome to work with Bobbi Jo Thomas on contact data base, additional outreach.

 

  • Fall Fundraiser Recap (Ashley Pantelis):
    • Kids liked the emoji theme.
    • Deciding on date for the Illusionist Show for all 7+ item sellers; 15+ get special VIP experience.
    • Working on organizing and ordering everything within the week.

 

  • Scholastic Book Fair (Daniel Ortega - Chairperson):
    • Location issues, since school is so full.  Probably remain in Media Center.
    • Working on finalizing dates for October 17-October 28
      • That would hit both Student Led Conference (10/19) and Talent Show (10/28).
  • Working on keeping books $15 and under.
  • Possible BOGO Book Fair in spring?

 

  • Holiday House (Kieran MacCarthy):
    • April Gibson chairs this committee; she does an amazing job!
    • Christine Jeske handled the decorations last and it was awesome.
    • Kids get the opportunity to purchase small, inexpensive gifts for family, friends.

 

  • Spring Fling (Ashley Pantelis):
    • Free carnival type event for all students
    • Elementary had morning, middle had afternoon last year.
    • Bounce Houses, DJ, cotton candy, etc. etc.
    • Need dates asap!
    • Chairperson TBD.

 

  • TAC - Teacher Appreciation Committee (Belkys Sherman - Chairperson):
    • Usually looking for ideas for 130 people; staff, crew, teachers.
    • Can always use more help!
    • Also can use any craft type stuff you may have lying around the house.
    • TAC Week 1st Week of May – Three days are ours, two done by administration.

 

  • Box Tops for Education (Kieran MacCarthy):
    • Chrissy Anderson is Chairperson for this committee.
    • Did a great job last year; looking to beat last year’s record of $1500.
    • Working on new incentives for parents and teachers.

 

PTO Meeting Minutes
September 6, 2016
Page Three

 

  • Efforts to improve communication schoolwide (Dr. Millins): 
    • Possible ParentLink overkill? 
    • Possible implementation of an ad hoc committee to improve this area.
    • Wants to work on most effective marketing for all areas.
    • Wants to explore and improve all technological aspects available.

 

  • Shoparoo (Stephanie Evans – Chairperson):
    • Easiest fundraiser ever! An app for your smartphone gets you started.
    • September 1 starts the new year.
    • Snap pix of receipts (not gas) within 14 days and get points which translate into dollars for NFMAA!

 

  • Holiday Grams (Ashley Pantelis):
    • Selling little notes and candy/goodies to kids at holidays.
    • Students can purchase for friends, family, teachers, etc.
    • PTO will make and distribute them if administration approves.

 

  • PTO Uniform Room (Kieran MacCarthy):
    • New Washer/Dryer purchased; not yet installed.
    • Need belts, lanyards, shoes.
    • Always looking for volunteers for this.

 

  • Open Discussion/Additional Suggestions:
    • Box Tops – Middle School or Teacher Challenges?
    • Thrifty Fair – Exchange or sell stuff to each other/community?
    • Look to community for Sponsored donations?  (ex. BJ’s adopts schools).
    • Flyer Nights (Ruby Tuesday, El Primo, etc.) – need a Chairperson for this?
    • Ms. Thomson – discussion of Ms. Hodges project (possible Mini-Grant material).

 

Ashley Pantelis motioned to adjourn at 6:58pm.
Kieran MacCarthy (and everyone else) seconded!
Meeting Adjourned at 6:59pm.

North Ft. Myers Academy for the Arts
Kindergarten through 8th Grade
A Title 1 School