NFMAA School Uniform Policy 2014-15
REVIEW OUR UNIFORM POLICY BEFORE PURCHASING SCHOOL CLOTHES FOR YOUR CHILD.
North Fort Myers Academy for the Arts is a uniform school. All students must be in compliance with the NFMAA Uniform Policy upon arrival at school and throughout the instructional day and shall maintain a clean, orderly appearance at all times. The responsibility for the personal appearance of the student rests with the parent and/or guardian. Repeated, purposeful violations of the NFMAA Uniform Policy will be dealt with in accordance with the guidelines established in the Student Code of Conduct. There are several reasons behind the establishment of our School Uniform Policy, including:
- Dress for Success - Many professionals wear uniforms in the workplace. Students in schools with an adopted uniform policy exhibit a more serious approach to attending school. The NFMAA School Uniform Policy supports and enhances a positive environment where learning is a priority; helping students focus on the educational importance of the school day and the impact it has on present and future goals.
- Increased School Spirit – Uniforms build a sense of unity and pride in being part of the NFMAA community.
- Improved Self-Image – Students no longer need to worry about designer labels and the effect they have on self-image or individuality.
- Positive Behavior – Research has shown a connection between student dress and behavior. Uniforms reduce distractions and discipline issues related to dress code by establishing clear guidelines for what students may wear and how they may wear it.
The following information establishes the minimum acceptable standards for student dress to be interpreted and enforced by the administration and staff at North Fort Myers Academy for the Arts:
- Polo style collared shirts, long or short sleeved, in plain, solid colors - red, navy blue, white or gray only. No designs or writing permitted.
- NFMAA school logo & Arts logo Polo shirts, as well as NFMAA t-shirts (in various colors), purchased from school.
- Club and activity shirts may only be worn on Fridays and must be purchased or received from our school. T-shirts from other schools, or clubs/activities outside of school, are not permitted.
- All shirts must be tucked in at waist at all times. Shirts too short to remain tucked in are not permitted.
- All shirts worn beneath uniform shirts must be school color.
- Uniform pants, shorts, (Docker or casual dress style), capris, skirts, skorts or jumpers, with no rivets, in khaki or navy blue only.
- Denim, jeans (or jean-like) cargo, carpenter, painter, corduroy, spandex, yoga pants, leggings, pajama bottoms, sweatpants, etc. are NOT permitted.
- All bottoms must be worn at the natural waistline and must fit properly - not overly tight or baggy. A belt must be worn if pants or shorts are loose fitting. No hip-hugger or low-rider styles are allowed.
- Skirts, skorts, shorts must be adequate in coverage and length – no more than 3 inches above the knee.
- Tights / leggings under dress and / or skirt are permitted, but need to be uniform color (white, red, navy, gray).
- Sneakers or other “enclosed” style shoes must be worn at all times.
- Open toes, open heels, flip-flops, bedroom slippers, shoes with wheels, or any other footwear considered unsafe are NOT appropriate for school. No shoes with extreme heels.
JACKETS / COLD WEATHER WEAR
- Solid color, plain sweaters or jackets with a zippered or buttoned front; these must be left open during school hours so the tucked uniform shirt and pants remain visible. No designs or writing permitted. Red, navy blue, white or gray preferred.
- All jackets/cold weather wear must be appropriate in length and hang at the waist. No long trench coats, etc.
- NFMAA jackets purchased from school may be worn.
- Sweaters or sweatshirts are permitted with school shirt collar showing. Uniform color (white, red, navy, gray) No hoods.
HEADWEAR / HAIR
- Hats, hoods, caps, bandanas, grooming combs, headgear, or sunglasses may not be worn during the school day.
- Hat or sunglasses may be worn for sun protection during outdoor PE time or other authorized outdoor activities.
- Extreme hairstyles or hair colors that are distracting or disruptive to the learning environment are NOT permitted. This includes mohawks, faux-hawks, shaved designs and unnatural hair colors, such as pink, blue, red, etc.
- Articles of clothing, jewelry, accessories or adornments that could likely cause injury and or a distraction–such as chains, bracelets, rings, chokers with or without spikes, or studs–are prohibited.
- Apparel, emblems, insignias, badges, or symbols that promote the use of alcohol, drugs, tobacco, illegal or gang-related activities are prohibited at all times while on school property.
- Adornments, either attached or pierced to exposed body parts other than the ears, are prohibited. Examples of prohibited adornments include, but are not limited to: objects attached or pierced to the tongue, nose, eyebrows, cheeks & lips.
- NFMAA Uniform Code 2014-2015 - NFMAA_UniformCode2014-2015.docx (38.1 KBs)
- Non-Uniform Days - District Dress Code - Non-UniformDays-DistrictStudentDressCode.docx (13.7 KBs)
- Dragon Hoodie Order Form - DragonHoodieOrderForm.pdf (107.7 KBs)
- Shirt Order Form - ShirtOrderForm.pdf (13.2 KBs)
- School Jacket Flyer - SchoolJacketFlyer.pdf (389.4 KBs)